Our scientific results are among the most important publications in the world2023.05.16.
Sex after spine surgery can be safe, but it varies for each individual. The most important thing is to follow your doctor’s instructions and be mindful of your body’s signals.
Generally, the following tips and guidelines can help you resume sexual activities after spine surgery:
- Medical clearance: Consult your doctor about when you can resume sexual activities. The recommended waiting time depends on the type of surgery, the healing process, and individual circumstances.
- Communication: Talk with your partner about your concerns and limitations after surgery. Develop a strategy together that is comfortable and safe for both of you.
- Pain relief: If necessary, use pain-relief medication before sexual activities, but always consult your doctor for proper dosage and potential drug interactions.
- Gentle positions: Choose sexual positions that minimize pressure and strain on the spine. Positions in which you are lying on a couch, on your side, or on your back are often gentler for the spine.
- Gradually increase intensity: Start sexual activities slowly and cautiously, then gradually increase the intensity as your body adapts.
- Patience: Remember that the recovery process can have unforeseen challenges, and resuming sexual activities may take time. Be patient and listen to your body.
Ultimately, it’s important to note that while sexual activities after spine surgery are generally safe, limitations and expectations can differ for each individual. Don’t hesitate to consult your doctor or physiotherapist if you have questions or concerns about sex after surgery.